Monday, May 18, 2009

Long time no update... here it is!

FIRSTLY, I would like to thank those of you who have already made some donations to this ride. It is much appreciated! Keep 'em coming! I can't do it without you!

I'd also like to recognize AROUND TOWN BIKES in Wilkes-Barre for their support and sponsorship for the ride, and Jan Sailus and the Something Special Bakery Cafe staff for their help in my benefit fund raising event (this Wednesday, May 20th 7pm!).

Now down to business...
The time has come to iron out a few details with the ride. Much has happened since my last post. Due to funding, and timing, and for the sake of preparedness, I've decided to do a northeast tour as a "practice run" for the long haul. This trip will be this summer starting in Boston, and coming back down to Wilkes-Barre. I've decided this route due to the southern route of the cross-country journey, and thought I might get some different perspectives from interviewees in the northeast.

I've been riding every week, increasing my miles, and hoping to kick off the northeast tour in July. This will be run just as if we were going cross country, documenting and interviewing along the way.

Through riding these past few weeks after NEVER really riding before, I realized something - riding hurts your butt! It's becoming increasingly clear how important good equipment is for a ride like this, and the ability to pack lightly. I will be riding the "weekend warrior" style until my schedule opens up to accommodate more consistent every-day riding, and looking forward to interviewing some local people on what they believe in.

Stay tuned...
H

No comments:

Post a Comment